Two Types Of Essay Conclusions: How To Write Each One And Which One You Actually Do Need?
For some students, a good essay conclusion is just a summary of the paper. If your essay is 10-20 pages long, you do not need this type of conclusion. The essay itself isn’t long enough so you need to repeat the main idea or to summarize all the things.
Believe or not, there are two main types of conclusions you can use for all your essays. They are completely opposite one from another and they have a completely different goal. Below we will help you by revealing both types and also explaining how and what you should write. We will also add a few points which tell you how not to write a conclusion.
Importance of conclusion
Don’t think that a conclusion is just additional space you must use. Think of it as the last chance to get in touch with your readers. Actually, a conclusion is precisely that. It should capture the last piece of attention of the readers and it must prove the point.
Some readers will read the conclusion first, some last, but all of them read the conclusion. Did you ever read the last page of a book first? The situation is the same here and as such, you need to pay close attention to your conclusions.
1. Establishing a sense of closure
A good essay conclusion may be used to provide a sense of closure. This is used when you want to put an end to an essay and you are not planning to continue writing on that topic. Also, for most essays, this is a preferable type of an essay.
In a nutshell, the type of essay is used for short and mid-long essays when you write about the casual and well-known topic. You want to provide a sense of closure in the conclusion and use it to put a point to the essay. A well-written conclusion can have a huge effect on the overall success of an essay. If you choose this type, there are three ways you can write a conclusion.
- Link the conclusion with the introduction. It is the most common sub-type and it is very popular among students. It gives a strong endpoint and it can help you complete an essay just as you want it.
- Use short, one syllable words. It is the simplest form of conclusion. We use when we want to provide a simple and direct end of an essay and when we want to make a clear end idea.
- End it with 2 sentences parallel in structure. You will use this type when you want to end a complicated discussion. They bring balance to the conclusion and therefore the essay.
Once again, you will mostly use one of these ways and you will likely write a conclusion with a sense of closure. It is more common, easier and simpler for all students.
2. Close a discussion, but not provide the sense of closure
This type of conclusion is more advanced and rare. You will basically provide additional elements to the essay itself and you will stay a bit mysterious. This type of conclusion can be written in several ways.
- Use a quote or reference from your sources. Always use primary or secondary source.
- End your essay by placing the conclusion in a bigger content.
- Redefine one of your main arguments.
The goal here is not to actually end the essay completely. Your readers will want to know more and to ask themselves about the main point of the essay. The conclusion in question can be tricky to write and it is a good essay conclusion for those who can use its true effect and power.
How not to write an essay conclusion
Below are three main points on how you must not end an essay. They are:
- Avoid “in conclusion” and similar words.
- Never apologize. Your idea will look weak.
- Don’t summarize the essay.
A good essay conclusion is your last chance to get in touch with the readers. It is equally important as every other part of the essay and it can make a huge difference. Read the points we mentioned below and provide the best possible conclusion, every single time.